Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Been Caught Stealing... The Past Few Weeks Digested in List


I’m stealing, erm, borrowing the format of this post from another blog post I read recently (maybe even today). It’s well published enough the interwebs will show it to you if you hunt around.

Instead of rolling with a quiet January (and into Feb) while you all were on diets and budgets, we’ve been embracing it by doing some new product development. I’m not ready to talk about what it is yet because 1) I want them to be in production for a few weeks first and 2) I’m working on perhaps having the local press actually give it some, um, press.

However, here’s a list of how my weeks have gone:

  1. Sample commercially produced versions of like products. Hmmm…
  2. Source some sample ingredients. Tour of Trader Joes, Fred Meyer, New Seasons. Try not to buy other ingredients not related to project (like Candy Cane Jo Joe’s)
  3. Create sample recipes
  4. Taste with staff. Hmmm… Refine.
  5. Create next batch of sample recipes
  6. Taste. Taste with staff. Too much acid pucker… Refine.
  7. Create next batch of samples recipes.
  8. Taste. Taste with staff. Wooo… we like those.
  9. Source more sample ingredients. Tour of Trader Joes, Fred Meyer, New Seasons. Try not to buy other ingredients not related to project (like Pirate’s Booty which is on sale)
  10. Recreate batches of recipes to be production candidates. How much of what did I put in that again?
  11. Write down better recipes, notes, tips and tricks. Scale to larger batch sizes.
  12. Make batches of production candidates again. 
  13. Taste. Yup. Got it.
  14. Email clients, talk about pitch and set-up dates and times to present samples.
  15. Create production candidate samples to give out at said dates and times.
  16. Think about where to store new ingredients. Rearrange one of the freezers. Harvest out ghosts of projects past.
  17. Look at paperwork that goes with product launch. Think about marketing materials.
  18. Ignore paperwork, eat extra samples.
  19. Remember I owe accountant some forms for how-grateful-am-I-2010-is-ovah filings.
  20. Eat more samples.

Enjoy the pic of the building across the street from us. I shot it with an iPod camera which is marginally better than my current cellphone. Still working on it… but perhaps more another bite?

1 comment:

  1. Now I'm hungry, and I don't even know what it was you were cooking!

    ReplyDelete